Most frequent questions and answers about Baptism?
It is a sacred practice in response to Christ’s command in which grace and assurance are imparted to you. Baptism is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that will forever be a beautiful tie to Christ and a power-filled reminder of this redeeming bond. You will want to invite family and friends to share this event.
Anyone who by faith has repented of his or her sins and accepted Jesus Christ as Savior may witness to his or her new life by being “buried” in baptism and “rising” to new life (Rom. 6:4).
Infant baptism is a rite that signifies that an innocent baby is covered by the life-giving grace of God and that his or her parents are responsible to see that he or she is introduced early to the saving grace of Christ and is brought up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Most of our people choose to have their babies dedicated to the Lord instead of being baptized. This avoids confusion in the mind of the child as he or she, later, makes an adult decision to be baptized..
- Spiritual Preparation
- Praise God for present witness of salvation.*
- Study the meaning of baptism: Matt. 28:19; Mark 1:9-11; John 3:5; Acts 8:36-38; 10:48; Rom. 6:3; 1 Pet. 3:21.
- Pray that God’s Spirit will sensitize you to the wonder and meaning of baptism.
- Each candidate will personally select and make arrangements with a person (or persons) who will accompany him or her to and from the baptism.
- The sponsor will provide any assistance necessary (e.g., clothing, towel, robe, and so forth).
- The sponsor will receive the baptismal certificate and be responsible to give it to the baptized.
- Physical Preparation
- Be acquainted with the baptismal tank and route to and from tank and to dressing rooms.
- Learn the procedure of immersion.
- Bring a handkerchief, large towel, and plastic bag for wet clothes.*
- You will be provided a robe. Obtain yours at the church office prior to the service.*
- Wear clothes you are willing to get wet. They should be “nonclinging” as much as possible. Some form of tennis or gym shoes is recommended to keep from slipping.*
- Baptism Service: 10 A.M. Sunday. Candidates, sponsors, assistants, head usher, and other involved persons arrive at 9:30 a.m. for preparation and acquaintance with baptistery.
- Candidates will be seated with congregation, wearing normal Sunday service clothing, for opening part of service conducted in the sanctuary. You will be dismissed to dress for baptism.
- Following baptism you will not need to return to service.
- Ladies will use (location of most convenient ladies’ room). Men will use (location of most convenient men’s room).
- To and from baptismal tank will be (directions to baptismal tank).
- Sponsors should accompany candidates through entire process.
- Any special assistance required by candidates should be made known to pastor.
- Baptismal Procedure